Saturday 13 January 2018

Introduction

I have been modelling 009 scale (4mm or "00" scale on 9mm gauge track) model railways since the early 1980's and have found the hobby creative and enjoyable.  Initially I built and ran my layouts at home as they were fixed and static, but from 1992 I started exhibiting at local shows with a few friends in the "Norfolk 009 Group" building 009 in "modules", then later I preferred exhibiting with my wife who has been very helpful and also enjoys making scenery on our layouts.

We originally built and exhibited a layout called "Carne", then made a few micro layouts called "Grumblewick Coombe", "Fotherham" and "Hawkins Tower".  Our favourite 009 layout was "The Whitsend Tramway" exhibited around East Anglia from 2007 to 2015, then, a smaller table top layout called "Nibley Knoll" was built and run from 2012 to 2017, and more, smaller layouts followed called "Raven Gill" and "Ellerbank".

(Click on images to enlarge)

The Whitsend Tramway -009

Then in 2017 the "steam" ran out.  I had no great ideas about what to build next in 009 scale and a complete change was made in my railway modelling, changing to a much larger 1:24 15" gauge (sometimes called Gn15) scale, and building my new exhibition layout "Longstone"along with my wife.
                   
     
Nibley Knoll - 009


Longstone - 1:24 15" gauge (Gn15)


At present (2019) "Longstone" is being exhibited, but I have recently started another 009 scale layout called "Shortwaite Hill".  It's been refreshing to start again in 009 with a "blank page" and new ideas.

Started in January 2018 this blog is a history of all my layouts.  From the "HOME" pages click on "ARCHIVE" on the right, and "SHOW MORE" to go back in time or view them...


No comments:

Post a Comment