Tuesday 9 July 2019

What? Another scale?

First "09" model: A Unit Models O-081 Diesel Loco Body built on a Kato 103 Tram Chassis.

With my "Shortwaite Hill" 009 project coming to some sort of completion, I was attracted (not for the first time) by "09" scale, (7mm scale running on 15" ((minimum gauge)) or 18"gauge track).  Re-reading Christopher Payne's and Bill Flude's recent articles in the Railway Modeller magazine, and also seeing one of our Group members new scratch built models only reinforced my curiosity, and again, ideas of a layout sprang into my mind.

I can use the same 009 or "N" gauge mechanisms that I am already familiar with, models would be slightly chunkier, and easier to see and handle.  009 track could be used (though really slightly small in scale) but I could disguise the sleepers in weeds and dirt as I usually do.  

The plan at first is to keep things simple.  I opted to send for some Unit models resin kits, available from Frizinghall Models & Railways.  They had been very helpful last year when I bought some Unit Models wagons via another retail outlet.  When the kits arrived, I found one of the chassis frames was missing.  On contacting Frizinghall, they manufactured a replacement resin frame and sent it to me very kindly free-of-charge.  I had enjoyed building resin kits when I made the Smallbrook Gn15 models.

Some of the Unit Models 09 wagons purchased.

I also sent for a Teebee 3D printed 09 loco body from Shapeways.  My previous experience with 3D printed railway models has not been great, and I knew that the finish of the plastic would be rather rough, but I would persevere this somehow.  I also had an idea in mind for a couple of passenger coaches.

Teebee Models 09 Side Tank body with half cab.

Never having modelled "0" scale before, I found out that the British, European and US 0 scales are all slightly different and soon noticed the difference in size of the figures that were available on the local model shops shelves.

So, to build a loco and weigh it all up.

I built the Unit Models Diesel and finished it in dark blue:

An easy kit to make.  Now I have to find a driver for it somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment